Government Affairs Guiding Principles
The Chamber will advocate for, and keep members abreast of, key governmental developments that are directly related to business and protecting their bottom lines. As a corollary, the Chamber will advocate for the best business environment as it relates to economic development, fostering a strong workforce, infrastructure needs, and work ready programs that benefit employers.
Towards that goal, the Chamber supports initiatives that aid current and future infrastructure needs concerning roadways, communication, and aviation. Investing in long-term strategies in these areas will enable Winston-Salem and Forsyth County to successfully compete with other regions for economic development considerations.
The Chamber will encourage legislators to work efficiently and promote initiatives that advance and protect businesses in Winston-Salem and Forsyth County.
Education & Workforce Development
- The Chamber holds the position that government leaders must prioritize growing the economy in Winston-Salem and Forsyth County through its policies, budgets, and approaches to regulation.
- The Chamber will support initiatives that help to improve and sustain the workforce in Winston-Salem and Forsyth County.
- The Chamber will work to cultivate a strong talent development system that supports our current workforce needs and establishes a talent pipeline to meet future workforce needs. This includes supporting housing options and transportation availability within the confines of a fiscally responsible, market-driven system.
- The Chamber supports fiscally responsible funding of the North Carolina Community College System-Forsyth Technical Community College in particular- in efforts to close the skills gap, to provide North Carolina with the skills needed for the jobs of today and tomorrow, and to ensure that community college and university salaries competitively support those institutions providing education in a way that produces graduates able to effectively compete for jobs in our community.
- The Chamber will serve as a central resource for organizations seeking information about Winston-Salem, its regulatory processes, and opportunity zones.
- The Chamber will be a champion in advancing the desirability of Winston-Salem as a place to learn, work, shop, live, and visit.
- The Chamber supports fiscally responsible initiatives to accelerate the growth and development of the State’s critical infrastructure arenas, such as transportation, aviation, and communications upgrades.
- The Chamber supports a predictable direction for communities regarding transportation planning and execution.
- The Chamber supports fiscally responsible spending related to aviation improvements that can benefit commerce in Winston-Salem and Forsyth County.
- The Chamber supports infrastructure related to public safety, tourism, the arts, and supporting economic drivers.
Tax, Tort, and Fiscal Reform
- The Chamber continues to support a tax policy that encourages growth and development that is complementary to today’s industries, and that encourages small business and entrepreneurial investments.
- The Chamber supports repealing the Medical Device Tax.
- The Chamber will present the needs of employers and organizations on key governmental issues directly related to business practices in Winston-Salem and Forsyth County to governmental boards and agencies.
- The Chamber is committed to advancing a more competitive legal climate for North Carolina employers that ensures a rational, fair, and predictable civil justice system which discourages unnecessary litigation that adds costs and prevents employers from creating jobs.
- The Chamber supports current North Carolina law in establishing our State’s minimum wage based solely on the federal Fair Labor Standards Act and prohibiting any county, municipal or other local minimum wage law or ordinance. The Chamber also continues to support North Carolina’s Right to Work laws for private and public employees.
- The Chamber recognizes the benefits of affordable, quality healthcare for our community. Therefore, the Chamber supports market-driven, fiscally responsible efforts that incentivize and better enable employers to offer and manage health insurance for their employees.