Facilities and Exhibits Assistant
Background: Kaleideum was formed in July 2016 as result of the merger of SciWorks and The Children’s Museum of Winston-Salem. Currently, the museum operates two locations with a combined 95,000 square feet, 200,000 annual visitors and more than 2,200 members. The mission of the Museum is: Inspiring wonder, curiosity, and lifelong learning in our children and community through interactive play and discovery. In all our endeavors, we seek to be strong partners with our families, schools, and community members as we prepare future generations for lifelong learning and success.
Responsible for ensuring the highest level of cleanliness and guest satisfaction are maintained throughout the Museum while promoting the mission, vision, learning philosophy, and exhibit philosophy of the museum.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in overseeing the museum’s appearance by maintaining a clean and safe public environment.
- Daily re-setting, restocking, cleaning, and disinfecting of exhibits. Weekly/daily schedule that includes washing/drying items, cleaning windows/components and housekeeping needs.
- Assists in maintaining Museum and Outdoor Park appearance and repairs, including painting, weeding, picking up trash, blowing off pathways and driveways, trimming tree limbs, etc.
- Assists in setup/removal of exhibits, equipment malfunction, and facilities repairs including electrical and plumbing repairs
- Set-up of facility for rentals and special events/may involve working evenings and weekends. Must be able to adjust schedule accordingly. Set-up and take down of assigned tables/chairs, clean up afterwards.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Involves some heavy lifting and light electrical/woodworking work. Familiar with woodworking tools a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Ability: energetic, customer service.
- Team player with the ability to work in a dynamic, ever-changing environment
- Proficiency with power and hand tools; working knowledge of electric repair, painting and fabrication skills,
- Reliable, honest, friendly and well-organized
- Attention to detail and must have the ability to work independently
- Ability to tolerate distractions and a noisy work environment
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule and perform work duties/responsibilities for extended periods of time to include standing, walking, and lifting
- Willingness to perform additional duties as assigned
- High school degree or GED required.
- Experience in creative, “handyman,” o DIY work
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Experience working in a collaborative team setting in a public environment
Essential Physical Functions:
- On any given day, may be frequently required to do one or more of the following: climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, lifting up to 75 pounds and moving long distances.
All applicants must submit to a drug test and criminal background check as part of the pre-employment process for the Kaleideum Museum.