Classification: Seasonal, part-time, non-exempt
Schedule: 18-27 hours per week Starting no earlier than May 11 through no later than August 28 (Dates negotiable)
Compensation: $10 per hour
Kaleideum was formed in July 2016 as result of the merger of SciWorks and The Children’s Museum of Winston-Salem. Currently, the museum operates two locations with a combined 95,000 square feet, 200,000 annual visitors and more than 2,200 members. The mission of the Museum is: Inspiring wonder, curiosity, and lifelong learning in our children and community through interactive play and discovery. In all our endeavors, we seek to be strong partners with our families, schools, and community members as we prepare future generations for lifelong learning and success.
Facilities & Exhibits Specialists at Kaleideum are involved in the ongoing care, maintenance, and cleaning of assigned Kaleideum exhibits, exhibit props and components, facilities and grounds at both Kaleideum campuses. Our specialists are dependable, hard-working, resilient individuals, that are an important part of our daily operations. Specialists are accountable for keeping Kaleideum a safe, fun, presentable environment ready for our guests and staff.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Open and close Kaleideum campuses as scheduled
- Performs daily safety checks on exhibitions and their components
- Keep Kaleideum exhibit galleries in order by picking up exhibit toys and props throughout the day and fully reset museum at the conclusion of the business day
- Report malfunction of any exhibits, equipment, plumbing, electrical, etc. to management
- Assist with facility set-up and tear-down when necessary for events, meetings, programs, etc.
- Maintains a clean and orderly environment in workshop and fabrication materials storage area
- Assists in set-up/removal of traveling exhibitions and upkeep of outdoor areas
- Trained and prepared to work at either Kaleideum location
- Other duties as assigned
- Perform routine preventive maintenance on various components and exhibits
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Team player with the ability to work in a dynamic, ever-changing environment
- Reliable, honest and well-organized
- Attention to detail and have the ability to work independently
- Ability to tolerate distractions and a noisy work environment
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule (including evenings, weekends and late-night events)
- Commitment to and passion for the mission, vision and values of Kaleideum
- A personal commitment to fostering a multicultural, diverse organization
- High school diploma required
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Experience working in a face paced, high traffic, public environment
- Ability to speak and read basic English
- Able to operate cleaning equipment and supplies
- Must have positive and friendly demeanor and the ability to interact effectively with Kaleideum guests and staff
- Comfortable working around museum guests and children
- Able to be adaptable and work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in a facilities, housekeeping, or related position a huge plus
- Must have a valid driver's license and a good driving record in order to operate company vehicles
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The physical demands include standing or walking more than half of the day, climbing stairs, lifting up to 50lbs, crouching, kneeling and twisting consistently.
All applicants must submit to a drug test and criminal background check as part of the pre-employment process for Kaleideum.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]