It’s much easier to safely destroy documents containing personal information than to reclaim your identity after it’s stolen. Help prevent ID theft by joining our local Better Business Bureau on April 16 – the day after Tax Day – for a Secure Your Identity event.
Between 9am and noon, residents and small businesses can bring up to three boxes of identity-revealing documents to shred, courtesy of BBB-accredited Shred-It. The event takes place at 119 Brookstown Avenue, right beside the Children’s Museum.
Guests are also asked to bring non-perishable food items to benefit Second Harvest Food Bank of NWNC – a BBB-accredited charity on a mission to reduce hunger and malnutrition in our region. Donations are requested, but not required for paper shredding services.
Staffers from BBB Serving Northwest NC, as well as Matt Winnicki of LegalShield, will be on-site to answer questions and offer advice on securing your identity.
Who: Better Business Bureau Serving Northwest NC
What: Free document shredding and a charitable food drive
When: Saturday, April 16 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Where: One Salem Tower, 119 Brookstown Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC 27101
10 Tips to Keep Your Personal Information Safe:
- Shred documents with financial and personal information.
- Never leave ATM or credit card receipts behind.
- Don’t use obvious passwords like your birthdate.
- Do not give out your Social Security number, carry your card with you, or put your number on checks.
- Never give out personal information unless you know and trust who you are dealing with.
- Never click on links sent in unsolicited emails.
- Keep your computer secure by using firewalls, anti-spyware and antivirus software, and keep them up-to-date.
- Register with the National Do Not Call Registry (888-382-1222).
- Monitor your credit report at least twice a year (www.annualcreditreport.com)
- Review your credit card statements carefully and regularly.
For more information, visit the event page or email [email protected].