Forsyth County and the City of Winston-Salem are now offering financial assistance to low-income residents who are behind with rent or utilities due to COVID-19.  

The Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) offers assistance to pay rent and utility bills, including electricity, water and sewer, natural gas, propane and internet. 

Landlords can assist tenants by providing information about the program. They may also be asked to provide documentation with tenants’ applications.

Landlord Information

The United States Department of Treasury established the ERAP to assist with housing and utility expenses in order to prevent evictions due to the pandemic. Forsyth County received $4,052,179 in ERAP funds and the City of Winston-Salem has received $7,478,359. The city and county are administering ERAP as a joint program. 

To qualify for assistance, residents must: 

  • Have incurred significant costs or financial hardships due to COVID-19. 
  • Have a household income 80 percent or less of area median income.  
  • Be behind in utility or rent payments.  
  • Be named on a lease or utility account.  
  • Qualify for unemployment OR be a household that experienced a reduction in income through furlough or reduction in hours due to COVID-19.  

Priority areas for assistance are households with an income of 50% or less of Area Median Income, households that have been unemployed for 90 days or more due to COVID-19 and households with a court eviction pending. 

Required documentation to apply for the program include:  

  • Current driver’s license or government-issued ID for all adults in the household.  
  • All pages of the renter’s signed lease agreement.  
  • Statement of financial hardship due to COVID-19 like a termination email or letter, proof of unemployment or other documentation.  
  • Proof of income for all household members.  
  • Eviction notice or late rental payment notice.  
  • Utility statements showing past due amount in renter’s name.  
  • Documentation of other federal assistance received, if any. 

Application and information online or by calling 1-855-836-6776.